October 27, 2011

Favorite Google Doodles Remembered!

Did you notice that Google put different kinds of art on its home page at certain times? These art forms are called Doodles. Doodles are unique to Google and they make searching on the search engine more fun for users. Doodles are created to celebrate special occasions like holidays, anniversaries, and even to commemorate the lives of famous artists and scientists. 

Perhaps not many of you know that Google's Doodle concept originated in 1998. It started when Google founders Sergey and Larry manipulated the corporate logo so that it will show their attendance at the Burning Man festival in Nevada. That became the germ of an idea for something bigger and in 2000, the founder asked webmaster Dennis Hwang to develop a doodle for Bastille Day. They liked the result and the people's response to the Doodles hence, from then on it became a permanent fixture in Google.

Today, Google doesn't only make doodles that have significance in the United States but to the whole world as well. And as of now, over a thousand doodles have been produced already. That's expected because 1998 to 2011 is a long time I'm sure you'll agree.



Over the years I've seen some Google Doodle that i like so much! I can't remember all of them unfortunately. So I'm going to share with you my recent favorites. Here they are:


The first one is Pacman which Google placed last May 21, 2010 for Pac-Man's 30th anniversary. I like this a lot because when I could not think of anything to write I play it right on the browser in order to refresh my mind. Beware though, it's addictive!

Second one is guitar for Les Paul's 96th birthday placed last June 9, 2011.

And the most recent notable doodle are the gummy bears to commemorate its creator Art Clokey's birthday. This was placed on October 12, 2011.  
I like peas so this doodle for Gregor Mendel's 189th birthday is also one of my favorites. 


What are your favorite Google Doodles?


Photo Source: Google


No comments: