August 2, 2011

What Typhoon Juaning Left Behind

Another strong typhoon hit Albay last week. The typhoon named Juaning left the province devastated once again. Guinobatan, Ligao, and Polangui were hit the hardest. The streets were flooded once again; the water reached almost to the knees in some locations while other had higher water levels.

I went home last weekend and I saw for myself the damage that Juaning brought to my hometown. The road in Maipon was impassable again. I wasn't able to see the place but according to my mother and bro, the sand brought by the flood was so high that it was really impossible to drive through. It's been a week now so perhaps the local government of Guinobatan had the problem fixed already. I wasn't able to take pictures of the site, which is too bad.

Ligao Bridge
Anyway, on Sunday afternoon we went on a drive to Ligao for an errand (I'm going to tell you more about this errand in my next post; maybe tomorrow). My brother, sis-in-law and I went to the Ligao bridge because I wanted to take some pictures of the damaged bridge there. Buses, jeepneys and private vehicles won't be able to make a shortcut to Tabaco via this bridge because it's totally damaged! The foundations are totally exposed now and if another strong flood comes along,  think it would collapse totally. Hope they get this fixed soon too!


Ligao Bridge
Ligao Bridge's exposed foundation

No comments: