November 5, 2007

Our True Selves?

Whenever someone asks me to describe myself, somehow I always find it hard to do so. Does this mean I don't really know myself? MAYBE. I know I am not alone in this matter. It always makes me think that when the subject is already about the self most people would shy away from the subject. This is very evident especially in school. Whenever students are tasked to do an essay about them they would groan and moan about it. Another example is during job interviews. The question tell about us about yourself or describe yourself is always being asked. How do we answer? Of course we only say desirable and favorable things about ourselves so that we would gain their approval. We even practice the dialogue so that it will come out right. Is this a manifestation that we truly and fully know ourselves?

Now why is it hard to talk about ourselves? I think one reason is the one i mentioned before. He does not himself that well. Another reason - most are afraid of revealing their true selves to others, for fear that if they show weakness it will be used against him. We may not notice it but, most of us wear "masks", (though not the literal "mask" that we put on)! This mask cannot be seen others, only those who know you very well will know if you are putting on a "mask" or an act/pretense/ to shield or hide your real self.

Though there some people who can easily answer when they are asked about things regarding themselves and their personalities. Some of them easily disclose their ideals . . sometimes they even say things that are better left confidential. Is this the manifestation of a person who truly knows himself inside and out? Actually I don't know. What is really the basis when we can already say that “I fully know myself" or " I know who I am", without any hesitation?
Well I believe everyday is a learning experience. It does not just take like 5, 20 years or even 40 years for us to be fully acquainted with our true selves. Each circumstance, every person we encounter and everything that we achieve helps us get to know our inner selves better each day.

No comments: